Ashwagandha, also known as Indian ginseng is a plant called Withania somnifera. This is one of the herbs which is used most commonly in Ayurveda or the Indian traditional medicinal system. This is being used for thousands of years effectively in treating ailments related to the body and brain.
The name Ashwagandha originated from the language Sanskrit. Ashwa means the horse and ‘gandha’ means the smell. The root has a strong aroma, hence the name. It is also a popular belief that using Ashwagandha as medicine gives you the ‘strength of a stallion’. What it means is that the ASHWAGANDHA will boost and strengthen your immune system multiple times.
Ashwagandha is classified as an ‘adaptogenic’ herb. Adaptogens are nothing but substances or herbs that result in the stabilization of physiological processes and promotion of homeostasis, post-administration.
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Boosts the Immune System
As is already been told, Ashwagandha gives you the strength of a stallion by boosting your immune system naturally, without any side effects.
The Indian ginseng is known to have a calming effect on the mind. Hence it is commonly used to treat anxiety.
Reduces Blood Sugar Level
Several initial studies have shown that Ashwagandha effectively reduces blood sugar levels by increasing insulin secretion and by improving insulin sensitivity in cells.
Effective in Pain Control
Ashwagandha effectively stops pain signals from being sent by acting on the nervous system. Hence it is used in minimizing pain in Arthritis patients.
Due to its medicinal properties, this herb is being used in the following conditions as well.
- This herb has a special capacity to energize your body and calm it at the same time.
- It helps in reducing the Cortisol level. Cortisol usually gets produced in the body in response to stress by adrenal glands. So a reduction in Cortisol means a reduction in stress.
- It can be used in improving your Thyroid’s health
- It can be used in treating depression.
- In treating high blood pressure symptoms
- In curing high cholesterol levels
- Some scientists have found its efficacy in reducing Cancer symptoms as well. These are only preliminary studies carried out on animals where it was found that using Ashwagandha stopped cell growth in certain types of cancers.
- Can be used to relieve the symptoms of Insomnia
- It can be used in reducing the symptoms of Alzheimer’s.
How to Take Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is available in one of the following forms.
- Liquid extract
In the traditional Ayurvedic system it is most commonly used in the powder form.
Usually, it is taken in 1/4 to half teaspoon amounts, once or twice daily. It can be mixed with warm milk and honey and consumed. If milk isn’t available it can be consumed with water.
Side Effects and Precautions for Using Ashwagandha
Please consult your doctor before you start using the Indian ginseng for medicinal purposes.
- Some people may experience diarrhea or gastric irritation initially. This is very rare.
- Be careful when using in patients with chronic history especially in cases of epilepsy.
- Be careful when using in pregnant women
From Where to Buy Ashwagandha?
That’s easy. Nowadays there are some reliable Ashwagandha products available online. Here are the top 3 Ashwagandha products available on Amazon.
1.Premium Ashwagandha 1000mg – Natural & Healthy Stress Support & Mood Enhancer Support – Artichoke For Enhanced Benefits – Immune, Energy & Thyroid Support, 90 Count
The price is $17.25 at the time of writing this article. This product is being sold by HAVASU nutrition on Amazon.com.
This Ashwagandha product is manufactured in the US under an FDA registered facility. These capsules do not contain any gluten, soy or dairy. This is a fully organic product that is 100% vegetarian. You can click here to check out more about this product now.
2. Organic Ashwagandha Root Powder 1200mg – 120 Veggie Capsules – Ashwagandha Supplement – Black Pepper Extract For Increased Absorption
This bottle contains 120 capsules. This is a Nutraherbals product which is sold by DermaSafe. This product contains no heavy metals. It is made with non-GMO and gluten-free rice concentrate. Overall a wonderful product, that is available right now for $20.99 on Amazon.com. Click here to know the current pricing of this product.
3. ORGANIC INDIA Ashwagandha Herbal Supplement (90 Capsules) – USDA Certified Veg Capsules for Relieving Stress, Anxiety, Insomnia. Vitamin and Dietary Supplements.
This is a product of ‘organic India’ who grind up the entire Ashwagandha root and place it in the pill. Each capsule in this bottle contains 400mg, Withania somnifera.
At the time of writing this post, the price was $14.99 for a 90 capsules bottle. You can click here to find out the current pricing for this product.